Photowalk

In the last two months I've been busier than I ever have in my life. It's been incredible and somewhat stressful. I have missed my adventures, but there will be many more to be had. Right now it's just powering through the work. I'm working with some amazing companies that I'm psyched to be a part of. But through all this I've shot almost no work for myself.

Today at Madelife I took my photo Accelerator (what we call students) for a photowalk and told her to focus on the minute details around her. We barely got 100 ft from the backdoor and found some great material. It's been years since I've gone out with this intent. I get so focused on whatever I'm working on, whether it's cultural portraits in India or adventure photography here in Boulder, that I forget to take in the small details all around me. It's a great exercise for everyone to do.

We've been talking about composition this week and studying ideas like pattern, figure ground, the rule of thirds, and leading lines. Last week was was about Depth of Field and Motion. Here are a few of my favorites from today.

ISO 100 f/2.8 1/1600 - depth of field study

ISO 100 f/8 1/200 - Pattern Study

ISO 100 f/8 1/200 - Pattern Study

ISO 100 f/8 1/200 - Pattern Study

ISO 100 f/2.8 1/2500 - Pattern Study

ISO 100 f/2.8 1/640 - Pattern Study

ISO 100 f/2.8 1/2500 - Pattern Study

ISO 400 f/8 1/125 - Rule of Thirds Study

ISO 400 f/2.8 1/800 - Leading Lines Study

ISO 400 f/2.8 1/250 - Pattern Study
 I used to get out every sunday with my good friend Katie Collins, and we would shoot whatever broken down, abandoned, overgrown beauty we could find. I miss those adventures. I need to, as I encourage my "students" to, get out and search out the details that inspire me much more often. 

Unknown

I've worked all over her globe with a diverse set of clients that offer a diverse set of challenges; every one of them a learning opportunity. Whether I'm hanging off a frozen waterfall shooting ice climbing or in a studio working with a model I am adapting, learning, and improving. I've created a mobile studio in the middle of a wild adventure race in southern Patagonia and fought with monkeys to keep my grapes in southern India. Whatever the challenge I will get the shot.

With my photography background firmly formed in the commercial advertising arena, I bring that attention to detail and technical process to adventure photography. And I've spent my entire life adventuring, so I can get any angle you can imagine.

I feel very fortunate to live in such a beautiful place as Boulder, CO. When I'm not shooting for clients I'm out climbing rocks or frozen waterfalls, or cruising down in the backcountry on my skis.

www.dscottclarkphoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment