Watches - impromptu product photography

Sometimes I get it in my head that I need to take a photo of something, but even if I only NEED a simple photo of it I tend to go all out. 

I have had this Wenger watch and had yet to take a photo of it. I also bought a new watch from Flud recently and wanted to showcase it. 

I don't do a lot of product photography, but I like to keep myself practiced in a lot of different genres. This was a perfect opportunity to do a lot with a little. I set up a quick studio on my bed using black posterboard, my neoprene laptop case, and the black pillow the Wenger watch came with. 

For my light I went as simple as possible: one light source. I used my new (and loved) LumiQuest Softbox LTp on my Canon 580exII. It gives me the softbox look for my speedlite and enlarges the light source by over 40x. But one light source wasn't giving me quite the effect I wanted. So with my camera on a tripod and my flash connected to my camera by a cable (easiest set up) I made multiple exposures, moving the flash all around the watch.


The above image includes about 7 different exposures, all combined in Photoshop to create the look that I was after.


In this image of the Flud watch I got away with about 3 exposures.


And this one I used 6.



It's been a while since I've done product photography, but I'm glad it's something I can do relatively easily with not a lot of gadgets. Again, I did all of these shots with one flash.

I highly recommend this addition your lighting equipment. It gives you much higher quality of light for only about $50. And it folds down flat and fits into the laptop portion of your camera bag (I can carry this and my 5in1 reflector kit inside the laptop compartment).



Unknown

I've worked all over her globe with a diverse set of clients that offer a diverse set of challenges; every one of them a learning opportunity. Whether I'm hanging off a frozen waterfall shooting ice climbing or in a studio working with a model I am adapting, learning, and improving. I've created a mobile studio in the middle of a wild adventure race in southern Patagonia and fought with monkeys to keep my grapes in southern India. Whatever the challenge I will get the shot.

With my photography background firmly formed in the commercial advertising arena, I bring that attention to detail and technical process to adventure photography. And I've spent my entire life adventuring, so I can get any angle you can imagine.

I feel very fortunate to live in such a beautiful place as Boulder, CO. When I'm not shooting for clients I'm out climbing rocks or frozen waterfalls, or cruising down in the backcountry on my skis.

www.dscottclarkphoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment